Rib cartilage Injury
The rib cage is a collection of a dozen pair of ribs, cartilages, a dozen vertebrae and the sternum bone. Seven pairs of the ribs attach to the sternum (a T-shaped bone) through the cartilages. A
rib cartilage injury
can occur when the ribs are impacted by a huge force during an injury.
Rib Cartilage Injury:
As a matter of fact, ribs are very strong and actually act as a protective layer over the heart and the lungs. But there is a threshold point even for the ribs’ strength. A heavy impact can crack and fracture the ribs and can cause the ribs to tear away from the cartilage.
How Can One Injure the Rib Cartilage?:
Let us look at the factors that can tend to break or fracture the ribs in a person.
As mentioned above, a direct impact to the ribs is one of the major causes. This usually happens when a person suffers a severe direct blow in the chest region from a solid object (when physically attacked by another person). During such a physical attack, the cartilages and the muscles are bound to get damaged.
- Motor accidents during which one hits the steering hard after the impact can severely render the ribs bruised.
- Sports persons who are involved in sports that require a lot of hand swings can inflame the rib cartilage. Also, people who are into lifting heavy weights can also damage the rib cartilage causing the ribs to rupture.
- Sudden and violent twists can also strain the cartilages causing the joints in the ribs to separate.
The first and foremost symptom of injuring the rib cartilage is severe pain in the chest region.
- People would also find it difficult to breathe.
- Changing postures (especially from sleeping to sitting) would become very difficult.
- Sneezing and coughing can also cause immense pain.
- Tenderness of the chest region and pain when force is applied on the chest region.
rib cartilage injury
can be treated with the help of drugs. In case a fracture is also involved along with the cartilage injury, a surgery would be required. Resting for at least six weeks without getting involved in any laborious activity, ice therapy and rib belts can also help the cause.